what does "he cannot stop"mean?

in terror she begins to scream, too; and they are overwhelmed by matter, saturated in Kennedy's bright blood; and one fragment, larger than the rest, rises over the President's falling shoulders and seems to hang there and then drift toward the rear, and Jackie springs up on her stained knees, facing toward the sidewalk, crying out, "My God, what are they doing? My God, they've killed Jack, they've killed my husband, Jack, Jack!" she cries and sprawls on the sloping back of the car, defeated, tumbling down toward the street and Halfback's approaching wheels and Kinney knows he cannot stop.】

does "he cannot stop."mean "he can't stop this tragedy"or "he can't stop the car? which is, the Halfback?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It refers to not being able to stop the car