How would you explain “caught up” in the context?

I lit a cigarette and went down to the pond behind her house, the light all bright and shimmery like raw linen in the dense summer air, then farther back into the woods where the pond drained into a creek and ran between steeply gouged out red-clay banks. At a spot where the creek caught up and swirled and eddied between exposed rocks, I found a place I’d often come to as a child. A large boulder overhung the creek, the red clay long since weathered away. Roots of a large gray birch clung to the side of the rock and went down into the ground where it leveled off into a clearing next to the creek.

How would you explain “caught up” in “At a spot where the creek caught up and swirled and eddied…”?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Since he/she mentions "a spot", I don't think he/she means the creek is coming to a close. I think the narrator is referring to "the flow of the creek" and how it was interrupted or "caught up" (like fish caught up in a net) where the water "swirled and eddied (flowed circularly)".

At a spot where the creek intercepted the rocks............... and swirled and eddied between exposed rocks, I found a place I’d often come to as a child. A large boulder overhung the creek, the red