What does to allow that chance to flourish mean? Please...

Clearly, I had no way to know - I doubted if he himself even knew - but it seemed to me that Mr. Reston had given himself permission for a second chance. Now that he had done so, I had the opportunity, perhaps even the obligation, to allow that chance to flourish. If this second chance wasn’t nourished, there probably wouldn’t be a third.
.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Allow that chance to flourish means: to give one an opportunity to succeed or excel. In this sentence a chance has been given a second chance to Mr. Reston, and the author is writing that he should allow that chance to flourish (provide support, help Mr. Reston to be happy or successful, to take advantage of this chance) because there may not be a third opportunity or chance.