Liverpool win or Liverpool wins?

What of the following sentences are correct?

Liverpool win the match. It deserves to win.

Liverpool wins the match. They deserve to win.

Your (my/his) football team play very well.

Your (my/his) football team plays very well.

Answers

The correct sentences are:

"Liverpool wins the match. They deserve to win."

Even though "Liverpool" is singular, it is a team comprised of several people. When we associate verbs with the team, we think of the actions as being performed by the people. If we want to use a pronoun, we use the third-person plural pronoun "they."

"Your football team plays very well."

Because "team" here is a third-person singular noun, "plays" is correct.

I get the sneaky feeling that Andrew is correct. Liverpool, meaning the Liverpool team of players, must be a plural noun. Even though it refers to a single team, it would not make sense that it is a singular noun given what it represents. Over the past few years, I have been sometimes "tricked" by such a situation where you think the noun is singular but indeed, it is plural. I think the problem here is that we don't hear news announcers says "Liverpool win". We always phrases like "Liverpool wins". But what if we turn it around and say "the Livepudlians win". I think that shows the flaw in our assumptions.

I get the sneaky suspicion that there is a difference in English between areas, here.
    Some are adamant about "Liverpool win" & some about "Liverpool wins".
    I think some treat "Liverpool" as a team of players (plural) & others as singular.
    .
    Notice that according to the descriptions, you cannot easily avoid the issue:
    "The Liverpool team" is still plural or singular, depending on the view.
    Personally, I put "Liverpool" as a singular, "The Liverpool team" as singular & "the Liverpool team members" as plural, but I am far from Liverpool & maybe not a reliable reference.

Liverpool wins the match