I don't understand the sentence "These are tough decisions we have to make up here.' please..

''I have a lot of constituents saying to me, 'Grover Norquist did not elect you,' '' said Representative Steve Womack, Republican of Arkansas and the author of the Internet tax bill in the House. ''Members that come to Washington and kowtow to special interests end up contributing to this very polarized government. "These are tough decisions we have to make up here.'"

what are decisions? Why do we make up tough decisions? please..

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    A 'tough' decision means a 'difficult' decision.

Usually we say to 'make' a decision. (After thinking for an hour, I finally made a decision)

'Make up' as a phrasal verb means 'invent'. (When I was a child, I liked to make up stories).

In the article, I think the 'up' is linked to 'here', not 'make'. i.e. 'UP HERE in Washington, we have to make tough decisions'.

Hope this helps.