How would you explain “front-back-goes” in the context?

I only vaguely remembered the long cursory sessions of legal instruction in the auditorium during basic. The drill sergeants had seemed to really turn the screws on us the night before. Front-back-goes for hours in the barracks hallway, the morning run that turned our legs to quivering spindles, and when the JAG officer got up on stage to tell us everything that was expected of us according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, all I can remember is being on the edge of sleep, feeling like I was floating in the cushioned theater chair and loving it.

How would you explain “front-back-goes” in” Front-back-goes for hours in the barracks hallway…”? By the way, how would you explain “turn the screws on us” in the previous sentence?
Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    My best guess is that "front-back-goes" are some type of physical exercise they were required to do.
    "To turn the screws" on someone is to torture them or cause them pain. Sometimes the phrase used is "tighten the screws on".