Cab and taxi

Hi guys, today I've been thinking how to deal with a common daily situation in a foreign country where English is an official language ( of course!). Let's say I wanted to call a cab ( is that the right expression?), what do you say to the cabby?
1. Please take me to ... ( I really don't know how this street and avenue thing works, please help me here.)
2. And what if I wanted to get their number in order to give them a call later so they could pick me up, what is most commonly said?
3.And what about the payment time and the cost of the ride, what do I say to the cabby?
Perhaps: How much was the ride?
4.Is that okay to say : " Do you know which is the store book with the largest diversity of books here?"
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    1. "Please take me to [Number] [Street/avenue/drive/whatever]" or "Please take me to [specific event location]". Examples: "Please take me to 315 Lincoln Avenue." "Please take me to the Metropolitan Opera House."

2. "Could I have your number so that I can call you later?"

3. They'll likely tell you the average price before driving, and they'll also likely tell you the exact price when you reach the destination. Futhermore, there's usually some sort of ticker on the dashboard of the car which will show the mileage/cost. Because of this, it's unnecessary to ask them; you'll probably know already. However, if you really wish to be polite, I'd say something like, "Thanks for the ride! How much do I owe you?" Your version is also fine, of course, as are many other possible responses. But as I said, you probably won't need to ask.

4. The question is better phrased as, "Do you know the largest bookstore around here?" because the largest bookstore will necessarily also be the most diverse one, and it will also be much easier for the cabby to answer you. I'd personally recommend researching that on your own, though; a cabby may likely know the locations of libraries or bookstores in smaller cities, but in larger ones it will be difficult for a stressed cab driver to think of "the largest bookstore" off the top of his head.

And yes, "call a cab" is a correct expression. You can also say "call a taxi" or "hail a cab/taxi".