一分 / 五分

I learned that when attaching 分 to numbers to indicate number of minutes, some phonetic changes happen. Sometimes it's read as っぶん and sometimes as ふん. Can someone please explain this to me better? Why don't we read it one way at all times? I heard that we pronounce hard BBUN when the mouth is shut and FUN when it's open at the end of last syllable, but following that logic, half of the times when we pronounce hard BBUN it should be FUN. Please help me understand this a little better... どうもありがとうございます。

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It is ip-pun, ni-fun, san-bun, yon-bun, go-fun, lop-pun, nana-fun, hap-pun, kyuu-fun, jyup-pun. Everything thereafter is regular, based on the last number of the multi-digit sequence: E.g., 35 minutes is "sanjyuu-go-fun," where as you can see the 5 of th 35 precedes fun and remains -fun.

As you can see, any number with an open vowel at the end keeps -fun (ni, go, nana). Anything ending with an -n sound changes -fun to -bun. Anything that has a 促音 (ichi -> ip -> ip-pun, loku --> lop --> lop-pun, hachi --> hap --> hap-pun, jyuu --> jyup --> jyup-pun) turns -fun into -pun.

All this will be regular after you memorize the first ten minutes

44 よんじゅうよんぶん
    56 ごじゅうろっぷん
    98 きゅうじゅうはっぷん
    67 ろくじゅうななふん

I hope this was helpful!