Difficult sentence in the book "Das Parfum"

Hi, today I received the book "Das Parfum" as a gift. I was really excited and immediately began to read it but the first sentence was very difficult to me. I understand each and every word but the word order is very confusing. Would somebody please explain me the meaning? This is the sentence:

"Im achtzehnten Jahrhundert lebte in Frankreich ein Mann, der su den genialsten und abscheulichsten Gestalten dieser an genialen und abscheulichen Gestalten nicht armen Epoche gehörte"

Thanks a lot!

For learning: German
Base language: German

Answers

I think, it can be rewritten with these 2 sentences:
    "Im achtzehnten Jahrhundert lebte in Frankreich ein Mann, der su den genialsten und abscheulichsten Gestalten dieser Epoche gehörte. Die Epoche war an genialen und abscheulichen Gestalten nicht arm" The second "genial und abscheulich" was about the epoche.