は vs が

What is the difference between topic (は) and subject (が) of a sentence? In this example:

- 私はBlahblahさんが好きです。

"I" am a topic and Blahblah is a subject of the sentence. I now that's because 好きです is an adjective meaning "loved" and not a verb "to love", so this would mean "As for me, you are loved, Blahblah". And indeed Blahblah is a subject when translated this way. But isn't the topic also a leading subject of the sentence? How would you distinguish those two when not in the same sentence? And I now that が is ALWAYS the subject of the sentence. But consider the following example:

- 僕はスミスです。

Would it be like "As for me, it is Smith." or is は this time a subject?

And yeah, I also know that you can say:

- 僕がスミスです。

but this would emphasize the word "I" as in "I am Smith and not you". So HELP! As you can see I am really confused right now...

Thanks in advance... Anything will help at this time...

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Let's look at the following example:
    1. "たろうは走っている" (Trou is running.)
    In this case, Tarou is a subject because you do know who he is. You want to know what he is doing, so "is running" would be a predicate because that's a new information for you.

On the other hand, the sentence of "たろうが走っている" is that you want to know who is running. Therefore, "is running" is a subject and "Trou" is a predicate because You can see someone is running but Tarou is a new information for you.

2. Someone making an action could be a subject.
    "たろうがじろうを殴った" (Tarou beat Jirou.)
    In this case, who made an action? It's Trou. So, Trou is a subject.
    "じろうがたろうに殴られた" (Jirou was beaten by Tarou.)
    Who made an action? That's Tarou again. Hence, Tarou is a subject.
    Yes you are right. "が" would be a subject in most of the case (not always).
    "は" could be a subject and topic.

Let's get back to your sentences.
    "私はblahblahさんが好きです"
    "私は"→Topic, "〜さんが''→Subject, "好きです"→Verb (to love).

Ahh...OMG I'm getting confused as well... Sorry but please someone help me! lol

Try this PowerPoint slide ... It may be helpful!

princedai.web.fc2.com/portfolio/wavsga.ppt

Don't try to fit their grammar into structure of European languages. We don't have topic markers as a grammatical unit.
    But in Japanese language topic marker can sometimes be subject, sometimes topic.

You just have to stop comparing it with the grammar of your own language or English and think out of the box. Get used to a new grammar, whole new grammar units which have totally different uses and syntax.