how do you use "分かる" and "知る" ?

Can they be replaced with each other? if yes, what is an actually difference between these two words?

I know that 分かる is to understand, 知る is to know. but sometime I saw Japanese use 分かんない to answer that 'I don't know' right? then should I know when it mean don't understand and when it mean don't know??

Additional Details:

also, what I'm wondering right now is what's the list of situations in which would you use '知らない' commonly?

Additional Details:

and the last question, in the situation that both could be used
such as in this examples :
what is difference between these two ways of answer?

For learning: Japanese

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Hmm, which meaning in English I take when a Japanese person says a word of 分かんない would depend on the context, this means 分かんない and 知らない have something in common. It needs practice to know how it's used. Perhaps advanced learners who are non-native could more easily explain. I'm writing this on the assumption that you already know the basic difference (分からない=don't understand, 知らない=don't know)

If you ask like this to Japanese people,
    I think they'll probably use the 分かんない(=don't understand) form to answer.
    I assume what you've heard is this type of answer.

Also, I would say to this question that

I would not say like this because it's kind of awkward to me.
    I kind of agree with rukiak on this page about an impression of 知りません. But my examples probably won't be impolite. It's just awkward if Japanese language learners use it.

This page also could give you some hint