Chinese nickname?

Hello, nice to meet you again!

I should have just received a message from chinese friends:
they signed the message telling me that from this moment
my "nickname" is: Ke Le... but what it means in chinese language?

Thanks a lot for your always prompt replies.

Have a nice weekend.

Sincerely,
Claudio from Italy

For learning: Chinese (Cantonese)
Base language: Chinese (Cantonese)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Hi Claudio, I did some intense research on the name 'Ke Le' and discovered that it means 'buddy boy' in Chinese. Hope this helps!

It is hard to say without seeing the Chinese characters, which not only have different tones for each syllable, but also multiple characters for each tone.

Your Italian name can be transcribed as Ke-Lao-Di-O (e.g., 克劳迪欧) into Chinese. I personally would call you Lao-Ke 老克 (if we were good friends) which literally means "old Ke" (Ke won't have a true meaning, it's used merely as a transcription of your Italian name) (as in "old buddy Ke").

I'm purely guessing that your Chinese friends think it is funny and ingenious to call you "ke le" 可乐, which sounds like Cola to the Chinese (as in Coca Cola) and literally means "can be fun."

I'm Chinese, so I guess I could answer this question for you.
    There are several type of nickname in Chinese
    First one is what you were call by your family while you were child.
    Second one is for friends calling, we don't use to call other peoples' name directory, so we use title or family name(Add Mr. or Ms.) for colleague, but for friend we use nickname.
    Third one is for foreigner, lots of foreigner can't pronounce Chinese characters, so we create a nickname in English for foreigner.
    In most circumstances, nickname is unlikely related to really name(Full name).

More open questions for learning Chinese (Cantonese)