"Vinha"

Does "eu vinha" best translate as "I had been", or "I was coming" ?

Por exemplo:

"Todo dia eu vinha te ver." = "Every day I was coming to see you." (or) "Every day I had been to see you."

Vlw.

Additional Details:

Ahh - "Every day I came to see you", as the imperfect tense in Portuguese is like the _simple past_ in English. Sorry to answer my own question.

For learning: Portuguese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Oi, hello!

Vir =to come.

Hi! The imperfect tense describes an action that occurred or used to occur continuously (in the past). Then, the best translation to "Todo dia eu vinha te ver." is in fact "Every day I came to see you.", but in other cases when there is no time adverb indicate that the action used to occur in the past, the translation is different:

"Eu vinha te ver." - "I used to come to see you".
    Therefore "I came to see you." means that once you "came to see" (simple past), which in portuguese is: "Eu vim te ver." (Pretérito perfeito).

I hope that you understood it all :)