It it acceptable to use 喂! when answering the phone in China?

I was watching an episode of 大耳朵图图 and the phone rang and 图图妈妈 answered the phone. I am almost certain she said 喂 but I need to know if I have the right chinese character and if it is correct greeting. Phonetically it sounds like the English word 'way' and the closest I was able to get using pinyin is 'wei' which took me forever to figure out after tinkering with several pinyin combinations.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It is right.It's the usual way in our country. "喂" just like "hello" is to tell the person who call you that you are pick up the phone and ready to communicate with him.

it is exactely what you heard.
    “喂喂喂” is concerning common word to asnwered on phone
    also, to call s.o. on the street instead of calling their names.

I'm not a native speaker, but from what I understand 喂 is exclusively used to answer the phone.

At the very least it's very common - a Chinese exchange student who was in Australia always answered his phone with 喂。

It's a good cartoon.But what‘s your question?喂--an idiom ,when Chinese phone.

在中国,人们接电话时通常情况下都会说"喂"!

大企業不會用 "喂"
    散漫的機構有可能

在臺灣的公司行號
    若電話接聽的規定嚴謹 員工的訓練也是嚴謹的
    則使用 "喂" 應答 通常會被認為違反企業規定
    公司行號 最常的聽到的起始應答大體如下
    " XX公司 您好 我是XXX 很高興為您服務"
    甚至
    " XX公司 您好 我是XXX 員工編號 XXXXX 很高興為您服務"

電話裡 "喂" 讀如二聲 通常限於私人應答 或規範不嚴謹的機構

在大街上 "喂" 讀如四聲 恐怕會引起他人的的不滿
    因為 "喂 (四聲)" 本身雖是喚起對方注意 但也是不滿的意思表示

喂 (四聲) : 通「餵」。餵養。如:「喂鳥」﹑「喂豬」。

‘喂?‘’’is xclusive language answer . Not “喂!”

yes, it's 喂 for answering the phone

应该是“喂?”而不是“喂!”。如果是陌生人的话,我们习惯说:喂?你好,请问你哪位?

when chinese answer to the phone,we say 喂.it means "hello i am here listen to you "

Yes, what you figured out is exactly right. Here, the character "喂" is onomatopoeic, just for greeting, like the word "hello" in English, and doesn't have the common meaning of this character.