It it acceptable to use 喂! when answering the phone in China?

I was watching an episode of 大耳朵图图 and the phone rang and 图图妈妈 answered the phone. I am almost certain she said 喂 but I need to know if I have the right chinese character and if it is correct greeting. Phonetically it sounds like the English word 'way' and the closest I was able to get using pinyin is 'wei' which took me forever to figure out after tinkering with several pinyin combinations.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It is right.It's the usual way in our country. "喂" just like "hello" is to tell the person who call you that you are pick up the phone and ready to communicate with him.

it is exactely what you heard.
    “喂喂喂” is concerning common word to asnwered on phone
    also, to call s.o. on the street instead of calling their names.

I'm not a native speaker, but from what I understand 喂 is exclusively used to answer the phone.

At the very least it's very common - a Chinese exchange student who was in Australia always answered his phone with 喂。

It's a good cartoon.But what‘s your question?喂--an idiom ,when Chinese phone.

在中国,人们接电话时通常情况下都会说"喂"!

‘喂?‘’’is xclusive language answer . Not “喂!”

yes, it's 喂 for answering the phone

应该是“喂?”而不是“喂!”。如果是陌生人的话,我们习惯说:喂?你好,请问你哪位?

when chinese answer to the phone,we say 喂.it means "hello i am here listen to you "

Yes, what you figured out is exactly right. Here, the character "喂" is onomatopoeic, just for greeting, like the word "hello" in English, and doesn't have the common meaning of this character.