Why the majority parties in the US have their names (Democratic and Republican)?

I know the ideology of both, but the names of the parties confuse me, because in theory both are democrats and republicans.

thanks.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The Democratic Party used to be called the Republican Party or the Democratic-Republican Party. Later, the name was shortened to Democratic Party. This is the Democratic Party of today.

Just before the American Civil War, a new political party emerged, and it was called the Republican Party. The two major parties have retained those names until today.

The American party started as Two Party System but it was not originally Democrats vs. Republican ...I think the disagreement of how the country should be run started with the dispute of Thomas Jefferson along with James Madison starting DemocraticRepublican which use to be one party and Alexander Hamilton for the Federalist Party which was the other competing party, but as time went on the "DemocraticRepublican party became the "Democratic party" the Federalist party ended becoming disbanded

Years later the Republican party which was founded by Anti-slavery activist in 1854..... but now majority of American are neither Democratic or Republican

I hope this helps

More resolved questions for learning English