how can I say for someone politely "don't change the meaning of what I'm saying"?

for example I am talking about a subject to someone, and that person tries to alter what I mean or maybe tries to focus on some part of what I'm talking about, and tries to make me look bad in front of the others,

what should I say to that person to stop him/her from changing what I mean without me looking defensive, in both polite and strong manner?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Good question. It's hard to express this without looking like you're accusing the other person. How about:

"I'm afraid that wasn't the point I made." or "I'm afraid that isn't the point I'm making."

"I think there's a misunderstanding of what I actually said."

"We seem to have our wires crossed. May I clarify what I'm saying?"

You can say, "Excuse me , but that is not what I said. I said that.........." Then go on to clarify what you said.

You are talking about very bad behaviour on the other guy.
    Keep silent. Use your fist.
    You will be sure not to make any syntax or grammar error,
    moreover, there will be reason to look bad in front of others.

I would simply say: "I understand your point/I see what you're getting at but....that wasn't what I'm trying to say/that wasn't what I was getting at." Then you could maybe reinforce your point by either repeating it or backing it up with some evidence.