What do these mean?

"In the first place it can be shown in great detail that the philosophia perennis of China was an organic materialism.The mechanical view of the world simply did not develop in Chinese thought."

What do you mean by organic materialism? I googled it but I haven't found an answer.
And does the term mechanical view mentioned above refer to the rotation and revolution of the planets around the sun, planetary movement as a whole?

Thank you soooooo much!!!!!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I'm not an expert in this area, but as you didn't receive any other answers, I will try my best :)

'Mechanical view' refers to the idea in Western thought that everything has a cause. One action leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on. Newton's laws of motion could be seen as an example of this type of thinking.

In contrast, in Chinese thought everything evolves because it is in it's nature to do so. Therefore 'organic' suggests two ideas - growth and the natural connection between things.

The difference between the two traditions has been used to suggest why the idea of a 'Maker' (God) developed in Western thought, but not in Chinese.

More resolved questions for learning English