Under, below, beneath

What are the nuances of their usage? When should I use each one? I would be very grateful for clarifying.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    This is from here http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/below

Below, under, beneath indicate position in some way lower than something else. Below implies being in a lower plane: below the horizon, the water line. Under implies being lower in a perpendicular line: The book is under the chair. Beneath may have a meaning similar to below but more usually denotes being under so as to be covered, overhung, or overtopped: the pool beneath the falls

"He's walking under the bridge."
    "He lives on the 4th floor, one storey beneath/below us."
    "The temperature fell to ten degrees below zero."

As you can see the nuances between their usage is quite subtle. There are a plethora of other usages for these words too, but in very general terms I would say "under" can usually be used for most situations, particularly referring to the physical location of objects or people. I hope that helps!

More resolved questions for learning English