A question about using 的 and 是。

The following is taken from a textbook I am using. I don't understand how 的 and 是 have been used here:

他们来喝茶,喝的是茶楼里的热闹,喝的是一家人一起吃饭的快乐。

If someone can explain the structure of these sentences that would be great. I am very confused.

Thanks

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    他们来喝茶--They came here to drink tea.

喝的是茶楼里的热闹, 喝的是一家人吃饭的快乐--喝的 is the subjuct. 是is the verb. 茶馆的热闹 and 一家人吃饭的欢乐 are the predictives.

的 in the 喝的 is just a function word and does not have real meaning. 的 just change the verb 喝(drink)to a noun, because 喝(drink) is a verb and verb can not be the subject. 的 is just like the "ing" in English in some degree. For example, you will say drinking is not drink is. So we say 喝的是 and will not say 喝是.

Hope it can help you.

hello ,是means is , 喝的means what they drink ,in this question,的equals to what.

its a interesting question,if u reading more chinese book,u will puzzled more,many adj u cannt understand

'的‘ after a verb modifies the phrase to describe the object of the verb.
    我喝茶 means 'I am drinking tea'.
    我喝的茶... means 'The tea that I am drinking...'
    我穿衣服 means 'I am wearing clothes'.
    我穿的衣服... means 'The clothes that I am wearing...'

Here, 喝的是... just means 'what they are drinking is...'. Without the 他们, I think it'd just be 'what is being drunk (by them) is...'.

Can a native speaker please confirm this? I'm a Chinese learner myself.

Structure:

1) "喝" works as a verb, meaning "(to) drink, drinks, drank"

2) "喝 + 的" works as a noun, meaning "what I/we/you/he/she/they/somebody drink(s)"

E.g. 他画的 + 是 + 他爸爸 "What he drew + was + his father"

E.g. 你说的对 "What you say/said (is/was/being) right"

<comparison>
    E.g. 你说得对 "You say/said rightly"

(1) Wow, I think beginners should learn everyday survival Chinese first. But don't worry, it's not that difficult to understand.

OK, usually when you ask somebody 你在喝什么?(What are you drinking?) They can answer 我喝的是茶 (Literally "What I'm drinking is tea") or more commonly just answer 我在喝茶 (I'm drinking tea). In English you use the latter too, but the important thing here is the structure of the sentence 我喝的是茶. Few Chinese are good at Chinese grammar, so I'll explain it in an empirical manner.

(2) First of all, several examples of similar structures, and you can compare the two structures I'm going to show you:
    * 我在喝茶。 I'm drinking tea.
    我喝的是茶。 What I'm drinking is tea.
    * 我明天要上中文课。 I have a Chinese lesson tomorrow.
    我明天要上的课是中文课。The lesson I will have tomorrow is a Chinese lesson.
    * 我今天中午吃了火锅。 I ate hot pot this noon.
    我今天中午吃的是火锅。 What I ate this noon was hot pot.
    No matter the tense, the rule is the same:If you "do something", and when you want to focus the attention on the THING you do, you say "do的是SOMETHING". You can use this mapping to understand: "do的"="what sb do", "是"="is", SOMETHING=the thing you do.

他们来喝茶,喝的是茶楼里的热闹,喝的是一家人一起吃饭的快乐。
    - They come to drink tea. (But) What they (really) drink is the lively atmosphere, the happiness of having meals together with families.
    The second drink is like a metaphor, not really "drink". It means the "tea" is not the real reason they come here, but the place's atmosphere or the opportunity to spend time with families.

A little extra funny knowledge. In China's Internet world, there is a popular saying in the structure of "哥do的不是noun,是寂寞。" that many young people use to mean they are not doing something for itself, but because they are lonely (no friends/no girlfriends/no boyfriends to spend time together, or simply bored). It's self-mocking.
    哥 is "(elder) brother", here it is a cool (and funny) way to address oneself (male). The same is for "姐" (elder sister).
    For example:
    哥看的不是黄片,是寂寞。 What I'm watching is not porn, but loneliness.
    哥喝的不是啤酒,是寂寞。 What I'm drinking is not beer, but loneliness.
    姐抽的不是烟,是寂寞。 What I'm smoking is not cigarettes, but loneliness.
    They use "do的不是A,是寂寞" to emphasize they are not doing A because they enjoy A very much, but mostly because they are "lonely".