到了中国, 不能不去看看中国的熊猫 Can you help me translate this?

I am reading a children's story about pandas but I am having trouble translating some of it.

到了中国, 不能不去看看中国的熊猫。

I think this means:
到了中国: In China
不能不: have to
去看看: go and see
中国的熊猫: China's giant pandas

Overall:
When in China, you should go and see China's pandas

Does this sound like a reasonable translation?

I am confused about the translation of 到了.
Is 去看看 different to 去看? Does the extra 看 change the phrase?

谢谢! :)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    到了中国,不得不去看看中国的熊猫。
    I think this is a reasonable translation: The pandas are a must-see in China.

到了中国 literally means someone "arrives in China". It's talking about someone from other places. But any translation fits the meaning should do it. If you are telling people "the pandas are a must-see in China" you just say so. If your friends are going to visit China and you tell them they should go and see pandas, then you can ALSO translate it as "After you arrived in China/When you are in China, you should go and see the pandas."

去看看 has the same meaning of 去看. But they might have subtle differences. 去看看 is to 去看 what "could" is to "can". 去看看 has a softer tone, meaning you suggest them to go and see the pandas but it's for them to decide if they want to. However, if you use some other words with 去看 then it can have the same effect of saying 去看看, as in 你们可以去看熊猫, where 你们可以去看 means "you can go and see (but don't have to)".

Back to the sentence, 不能不去 indicates the pandas are a must-see, and 去看看 makes your tone less strong so your friends know you are just making a suggestion.