What exactly is the difference between 述语 and 谓语?

大家好:

These two terms both appear in my grammar textbook, and both seem to translate as "predicate." Could someone explain to me what exactly the difference is in usage between these two terms?

谢谢你们!

Answers

谓语, is usually the verb/ or verbs in a sentence ,to describe the action performed by the subject, or to describe the state of the subject.

eg: I (love) food/ eating food, love is 谓语
    I (am) a man。 am is 谓语
    he (was caught) yesterday。 was caught is the 谓语
    I (won't hurt )you, won't hurt is 谓语

Well, most of the Chinese native speaker don't know the term “述语”, because we seldom or even never use it to discribe our grammar. But in fact, especially after learning Arabic, I found that “述语” is very common in Chinese Mandarin. It is like the khabar in arabic. You can simply regard “述语” as the comment to the subject in a sentence. For example, 我的书在桌子上(My book is on the desk.) . From this sentence you can see that there's no "to be" or its equivelant in the Chinese version. So we cannot be convinced by the saying that the structure of this sentence is S+V+O which is the basic grammar structure that many modern grammar books tell us. Then we can say that "书" is the subject, and “在桌子上” is the "述语“. Another example, 我读过这本书(I have read this book). 我 is subject, 读 is the verb, and 书 is the object. Then 读过这本书 could be regarded as the ”述语“ for 我, because it is kind of comment to 我.