that / it

Definition of English dictionary

that : used to refer to a person, thing, idea etc that has already been mentioned or is already known about

it : used to refer to a thing, animal, situation, idea etc that has already been mentioned or is already known about

I am very confused
Those have the same definition

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    "It" is always a pronoun (like he, she, we or you). For example, I could say "That meal was tasty. I liked it." and it would refer to the meal from the previous sentence. 'That' can also be a pronoun (ex. I can't believe I ate that). But "that" is also adjective, adverb, conjunction, etc. You can say 'that book', but not 'it book' if you wanted to specify a specific book. You could say something was "as big as that" and gesture to an object with your hands for emphasis.

More resolved questions for learning English