Hanashiteitan vs hanashiteimashita

Can someone explain me the difference between hanashite itan and hanashite imashita. As far as I understood they have the same meaning, but one of them is a polite expression. That should be hanashite imashita.

Can you also do the same for the present tense? Is there also an alternative form for hanashite imasu?

Additional Details:

Yes, I indeed meant hanashite itan desu. Thank you for remembering me. However, the difference between hanashite itan desu and hanashite imashita is still not clear to me.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    "話していたん" is not a correct sentence ending. You probably mean "話していたんです".

"話していたんです" is a colloquial form of "話していたのです" and "のです" is an ending form people use when they want to explain the cause, reason, result, or background of something happened or happening.

Example:
    どうして遅刻したのですか。 Why are you late?
    彼女と話していたんです。 Because I was talking with my girl friend.

For the present tense, we use "話しているんです".

This is already a polite expression, but using "のです" instead of "んです" would sound more polite.