Ford is one of the most popular ____ of car in Britain.

A. makes
B. marks
C. brands
D. models

Note: My choice is C. My understanding is that a brand refers to a car manufacturer, such as Toyota, Ford, and Buick, Cadillac, and Chevrolet.
A model is a type of cars for the brand such as Toyota Prius, Ford Fiesta, Cadillac Escalade, and Chevrolet Camaro.
What does the word “makes” fit in here? Is it the same as “models”?
Also, would you call GM a car brand?
Thanks

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Personally, I would say 'makes', but I don't know if that the answer the writer of the test considers to be correct. 'Make' and 'brand' are more or less the same, and you are correct about the meaning of 'model'. 'Brand' might be used to describe GM, but more it would describe one of GM's divisions. I think there are four now in the US: Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet, and GMC Trucks. More commonly, we might just say it's a Chevy or Cadillac, etc., than to say it's a GM vehicle. But not always.

Also, mark might be correct because Ford also owns and engineers the Lincoln Brand, which is their luxury division. Previously Ford also produced the Mercury, Edsel, and Merkur brands. (Mercuries were just slightly upscale Fords.)