Does 也 have to go with 甚至? 甚至。。。也?

In my last notebook I wrote 但今年夏天天气非常热, 甚至晚上非常热。 But this summer it is very hot, it is even hot in the evening.

Both corrections added 也 (甚至晚上也非常热) Is this a grammatical rule I must follow?

Using 也 there, to me, seems so strange! In English we do not need to add 'also/to' in this type of sentence, in-fact it sounds positively strange to me, lol. But this summer it is very hot, (it is even hot in the evening also, it is also even hot in the evening) No they just don't work, no also in English here!

Must I use 也 in Chinese here?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The short answer is yes.

Don't think of it/translate it as "also" here, it will drive you utterly daft. I've never really questioned it before, but with the understanding that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I've stumbled upon the word "scope" in various conversations about language recently and that may be what it's all about. 也 marks scope? (I'm free-forming, bear with me)

How about this:

今年夏天天气非常热, 甚至晚上也非常热。
    This summer it's been very hot. It's even hot in the evening (or: It's hot even in the evening. -- notice that 也 immediately follows "evening".)

Now this:

今年夏天天气非常热, 甚至晚上我也睡不着。
    This summer it's been very hot, (to the extent that) I can't even get to sleep in the evening.
    (也 follows "I", so that's where the scope of "even" lies.)

Actually, I'll even go so far as to say that if you want to drop anything, drop the 甚至. The 也 is doing most of the heavy lifting of the sense of "even" here; 甚至's just making that sense all the more explicit. Moving the 也 around would be like moving the "even" around in English.

Even *my* dog won't eat it./Even my *dog* won't eat it./My dog won't even *eat* it.

I feel I'm on the right track here, but I'm not a native speaker and I also feel like I'm swimming a little too far from shore without the lifeguard's okay. If these ramblings don't make sense, then just think of it *this* way: Plenty of Chinese sentence patterns have these kinds of pairings:
    虽然。。。但是。。。(although...but...)
    因为。。。所以。。。(because...so...)
    一。。。就。。。(once...then...)
    越。。。越。。。(the more...the more)
    so
    甚至。。。也。。。
    and
    连。。。都/也。。。
    are in perfectly good company. Just learn it, memorize it, internalize it, and you, too, won't know why it's there, but it'll just feel weird without it. :D

yes ,you can both use 也and 甚至in this sentence . 但今年夏天天气非常热, 甚至晚上非常热。 and 但今年夏天天气非常热, 晚上也非常热。are the same meaning . i explain these two words :甚至means Said the proposed is prominent, and further examples.the near-synonym is 甚而 以至 乃至(Even that even )也:means Also, used as an adverb in modern Chinese is refers to the same meaning, and is used as auxiliary means in the judgment or affirmation of at the end of the sentence mean.Also said the same.for example :我高兴,你也高兴;也可以;也是。(I am happy, you are happy; Also can; Is also.) .i hope it can help you .if you still don't understand ,add me skype :kaixuan1127 .i can explain until you understand it .

you can say:但今年夏天天气非常热, 晚上也非常热。or 但今年夏天天气非常热, 甚至晚上也非常热。‘也’和‘甚至’没有关系,不是固定搭配。‘也’表示‘晚上热’这种状态。like今天是晴天,明天也是晴天。Today is sunny day,tomorrow is sunny day as well.而'甚至'表示热的程度:甚至晚上也非常热or甚至晚上更热了 It's even hotter in the evening.热的程度变了就不用加上‘也’了。