Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Could you please tell me whether it is "to see" or "to watch" a film? Are both right?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Well its kind of tricky. You can go see a movie, and you can go watch a movie. However, once there you can say that you are watching a movie. But you wouldn't normally say you are seeing a movie. Normally if asking friends you would say something like "would you like to go see a movie?" And if you are at home you would normally say you are going to watch a movie, or watch TV. Interestingly I was watching "Leave it to BEaver"(an old TV show from 1950s and 60s) and one character said "I'm going to go look at television", so I think at one time that was a normal expression that fell out of use.

Yes I would agree with the above answer, both are possible. Just be careful with the nuances of these two verbs, for example we only say "watch TV" not "see TV."

I think 'seeing' implies going somewhere to see it, but 'watch' means watching it on television, and this would apply to movies, concerts, sporting events, etc. But it's not a rigid distinction, and in the past tense it gets blurrier: "I saw the Rolling Stones on television last night".