Site Feedback
Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

Resolved questions
Should I say"a fetter"or"a...of fetters"?


The same goes with "manacle","shacle".And if the later is right,what unit noun should I put in ?Thanks.

For learning: English
Base language: English
Category: Language


1 comment

    Please enter between 2 and 2000 characters.



    Sort by:

    Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    A single chain or manacle could be called a fetter. Usually, restraints on a person might be several chains and/or manacles, so we refer to fetters. Many times, though, you might also hear a single restraining device referred to a fetters.
    However, you will probably never hear multiple chains, manacles, ropes, etc., or a combination of them, referred to as simply 'a fetter'.

    Submit your answer

    Please enter between 2 and 2000 characters.

    If you copy this answer from another italki answer page, please state the URL of where you got your answer from.