る in the middle of a sentence

I notice in several sentences that they put a る after a verb (usually in te form). I don't understand its purposse.

For example

すごい情熱でビール売ってるなぁ。

And

日本語くらいだな、勝ってるの。

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Actually, る is not in the middle of the sentence, but it is in the end of the sentence. However, it looks it is in the middle because those sentences have particles (なぁ&の)at the end. You may not feel strange if the sentences had different particles like 「売ってるね」or 「勝ってるよ」.

The adding of る in the middle changes a sentence from FORMAL to INFORMAL. For example, in the second sentence, the phrase 勝ってるの means "are you winning?". The の makes it an interrogative sentence. In formal way, the ~る/~いる changes to ~ます/~います. And the ~の changes to ~か.
    Example:
    1. 食べている=> 食べています
    2. 考えている=> 考えています
    3. 思っている=> 思っています

>>Informal=>Do not use informal when talking to people older than you and to those whom you show/you should show respect. Also, it's better not use informal when talking to someone for the first time. You can use the informal way when talking to someone younger than you and also to someone who is very close to you and has very good relationship.

I hope my answer was useful. Please ask again if any questions arise...^_^