I always thought the word 'misunderstanding' was always countable, but I came across a sentence that said "...much misunderstanding," so I looked the word up in the dictionary, and to my surprise, it can be either countable or uncountable! (I hate when this happens... Darn you, English!)

So my request is, can someone show me the difference between "more misunderstandings" and "much misunderstanding"?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    "A misunderstanding" would be a particular incident where something was misunderstood. If there have been many of these, you can say "there were a lot of misunderstandings". You could also say "there was much misunderstanding" if you want to de-emphasize the specific incidents and describe a general and frequent occurrence. You can do the same with 'argument'.

You can compare it with "crime", it can also be countable or not.

"We have to fight crime in this city"
    "There too much crime in this city"

"Three crimes were reported this morning"

I hope this helps.