"to stab at" - please help to translate

Hello! :) Could you please help to translate the last phrase - stabbing at too many small/unraised pots. What does "stabbing" mean here?

Small mistakes:
- making loosish preflop calls in position with speculative hands and playing decent/tight postflop.
- making tough folds with one pair type hands against sane oppoents.
- Most of the time when you fold the river (it's rarely a big mistake in NL to fold the river against heavy aggression, particularly for big bets when you have less than a big hand relative to your opponent's range).
- calling flops with less than odds (with marginal implied odds) with drawing hands. This is obviously less of a mistake when in position.
- stabbing at too many small/unraised pots.

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Nicole:

"To stab at = to make a tentative effort or a "half-effort" at something.
    For example, if people are gathered around a lake or river, trying to retrieve something from the water with a long stick, someone might say; "Give me that stick! I'll take a stab at it!"

. The other sentences in your posting are demonstrative, so far as I can tell, of a highly technical Gambling jargon derived from High Stakes Poker. I am not a serious gambler, and cannot tell you what the language means. You can discover this perhaps on the Internet or in a book that teaches Poker.

.