Still confused about 本该

In my last question, I asked people to explain 本该 in the following passage. People have said it means-should/ought to, but I can't make that work in my head as that makes 本该 a verb. My dictionary also says it means 'should'.

If it is a verb and means should/ought to why is there a 把 in front? I thought you 把 a noun. I have never seen the 把 structure used with a verb before.

Please could you show me some other sentences using 把本该 in the same way. Maybe that will help me understand a bit more.

Thank you

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    In this article, 本该 is the abbreviation of 本来应该, it means something's original plan, also we can say it means something should do as it was planned.

other sentences :

Just off the top of my head, we normally use 本该 in two different situations, as follow,

1. 本该 You should've done, but you didn't do.

你本该去做: you should've done it. (but you didn't do it)

2. 本该 otherwise

它会破坏了本该很好的晚餐It's something that can absolutely spoil an otherwise perfect dinner.

In your given context, apparently it means OTHERWISE.

也许人们把本该一星期后举行的庆祝篝火之夜晚会提前举行了. Perhaps the bonfire night party's been brought forward, otherwise it would be held in a week.

dear beth,把 here is a adposition ~~not nouns.