Still confused about 本该

In my last question, I asked people to explain 本该 in the following passage. People have said it means-should/ought to, but I can't make that work in my head as that makes 本该 a verb. My dictionary also says it means 'should'.

If it is a verb and means should/ought to why is there a 把 in front? I thought you 把 a noun. I have never seen the 把 structure used with a verb before.

“噢,泰德,”气象播音员说,“这我可不知道,今天不仅猫头鹰表现反常。全国各地远至肯特郡、约克郡、丹地【肯特郡在英格兰南部。约克郡在英格兰北部。丹地是英格兰北部海港】等地的目击者都纷纷打来电话说,我们原来预报昨天有雨,结果下的不是雨而是流星!也许人们把本该一星期后举行的庆祝篝火之夜晚会【指每年11月5日在英国举行的庆祝篝火之夜活动】提前举行了,朋友们!不过我向你们保证,今晚一定有雨

Please could you show me some other sentences using 把本该 in the same way. Maybe that will help me understand a bit more.

Thank you

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    In this article, 本该 is the abbreviation of 本来应该, it means something's original plan, also we can say it means something should do as it was planned.

other sentences :

1.把本该属于你们的东西还给你们吧。

2.另一方面,收人攀比机制又通过“大锅饭”工资或消极怠工等形式,把本该由劳动贡献差别决定的
    劳动收人差距熨平了,更为严重的是出现了杜会范围内的脑体收入“倒挂”.

Just off the top of my head, we normally use 本该 in two different situations, as follow,

1. 本该 You should've done, but you didn't do.

你本该去做: you should've done it. (but you didn't do it)

2. 本该 otherwise

它会破坏了本该很好的晚餐It's something that can absolutely spoil an otherwise perfect dinner.

In your given context, apparently it means OTHERWISE.

也许人们把本该一星期后举行的庆祝篝火之夜晚会提前举行了. Perhaps the bonfire night party's been brought forward, otherwise it would be held in a week.

明白了?

dear beth,把 here is a adposition ~~not nouns.

here 本該 is short cut of 本來該 。。。。。(should have done sth)

here in context
    也许人们把本该一星期后举行的庆祝篝火之夜晚会提前举行了。

maybe people would move the celebration party's time (庆祝篝火之夜晚会) one week before from the date it should be taking up.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

about the 把 is one of the most hard explain topic , in general a chinese can use them, but can't explain it well.