kaimasen deshita vs katte imasen

Could someone explain me the difference in feeling between using one of these two. I know that katte imasen is a like present time and kaimasen deshita is in the past, but you can use both of them as an answer when someone ask you "Did you buy it?". So in which case would you use the first and in which case the second:

kaimasen deshita vs katte imasen

(Could you please keep in mind that I don't know any Kanji yet.)

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    kaimasen deshita:
    I was gonna buy it but I didn't.

katte imasen:
    I haven't bought it. Maybe I'll buy or maybe not.

These are kinda nuance thing so it all depends on contexts.

Kaimasen deshita means I didn't buy it. Katteimasen means I'm not buying it (Negative present progressive).

I'm a Japanese. For me, These 2 expressions are same meaning."I didn't buy it"
    Just it depends on situation. You can use either.

かいませんでした
    This focuses on the fact that you did not buy it in a particular time period in the past. You can alternatively say かわなかったです.

かっていません
    This is somewhat more similar to the present perfect in English. It usually means that you did not buy it and therefore you do not have it now, namely "you have not bought it yet".
    However, unlike English, you can sometimes use this when you refer to a fact in the past, too. In that case, this has no difference from かいませんでした.

OOPT

<Short answer>
    If the question was もう かいましたか?then your answer has to be いいえ、まだ かっていません。
    (or はい、かいました。if you bought. )
    *いいえ、まだ かいませんでした is simply wrong.

In other situations, both are correct at least for grammar-wise, although they have slightly different nuances and either one may be preferred in certain context. I don't think you need to worry too much at this point.

OOPT

<Long answer>
    When you use ・・・ていません, that past has something to do with current situation. For example,
    あさごはんを たべていません。(so I'm hungry.)
    その えいがを みていません。(so I don't know about the movie.)
    しゅくだいを していません。(so I feel sorry. Please don't get mad at me, sensei!)

On the other hand, ませんでした is more narrative and has nothing to do with current situation. That's why ませんでした is often used in writing such as narrative part of novel and journal.

Also, ませんでした implies that you chose not to do something while there was some possibility that you chose to do.
    Example:
    「きのう、amazonで えいがの DVDが やすかったですね。かいましたか?」Hey, movie DVDs were on sale on amazon yesterday. Did you buy any?
    「いいえ、ほしい えいがが なかったから、かいませんでした。」No, there was no title that I wanted, so I didn't buy.
    (implies: If there have been any title that I wanted, I would have bought it.)

In the situations like examples below, you'd like to choose ていません rather than ませんでした because
    1. you are innocent.
    2. you didn't even think of doing it.

Examples:
    A wife found a long hair on her husband's undershirt. So she suspects that he secretly met Hanako, who is young and beautiful.
    wife: きょう、はなこさんに あいましたか?"Did you meet Hanako today?"
    husband: えっ!いいえ、あっていません。"Eh! No. I didn't. "(sweating)

An officer is investigating the suspect.
    officer: あなたは Aさんを ころしましたか?"Did you kill Mr. A?"
    suspect: いいえ、ころしていません。"No I didn't. "

Director Masayuki Suo's movie in 2007 is titled それでもボクはやっていない in Japanese, and translated into English as 'I Just Didn't Do It' .
    'I Haven't Done It' would sound completely different for this one.