Абе?

Linguists call words like "абе" and "hey" and "oh" discourse particles, but since they are not really words so much as expressive noises, they tend not to appear in dictionaries. Another reason for their absence from dictionaries is that may be untranslatable. So my question is not "What does "абе" mean?" but "In what situations do you use it?"

My own hunch is that there has to be some tension between the two speakers, as in this extract from the writings of Georgi Markov:

'Сигурно стотици пъти съм се натъквал на гузни погледи, на вдигане на рамене и на израза "Абе, разбери, нищо не зависи от мен", което значи – всичко се решава от друго място и по други закони...'

For learning: Bulgarian

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    It is little bit difficult to me, to explain in what situations we use it... we use it in all kind of situations:) This is parasitic word, one of those words we can't escape from and using all the time but they don't change the meaning of what we are sainyg, at all. It could be skipped and this won't change the meaning of the sentance.
    This word is appropriate only when we are speaking with friends, family and close people.

We use it, in all kind of situations in daily speech, for example, when we want to address to someone.

"Абе, все се каня да ти кажа и все забравям..." / I always forget to tell you...
    "Абе, ти ходи ли вчера на събирането?" / Did you go to the meeting yesterday?
    "Абе, млъкни, най-накрая!" / Shut up!
    "Абе, Иване, ти на колко си години?" / Ivan , how old are you?

Also, it can be used and like word "well"

"Абе... не знам." - Well... I don't know.
    "Абе... може и да си прав." - Well... you might be right.
    "Абе, няма значение" - Well, never mind.
    "Абе, карай." - Well, whatever.

Something like this, I can't think of other examples right now.:) Hope this helps.

More open questions for learning Bulgarian