Where can I find which Chinese verbs are adjectival, stative, modal, open-ended/change-of-state?

My grammar book ("Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar - A practical guide") doesn't even give the Chinese names of these verb categories. The open-ended and change-of-state verbs are the two subcategories of action verbs.

Additional Details:

Ah, I didn't realize the categories weren't well known (in English teaching of Chinese).

Here are the adjectival verb examples from my book: gao ‘to be tall,’ guì ‘to be expensive,’ xiao ‘to be small,’ dà ‘to be big,’ hao ‘to be good’

Here are the stative verb examples: xihuan ‘to like,’ ài ‘to love,’ xiàng ‘to resemble,’ xiang
‘to want,’ yào ‘to want,’ xuyào ‘to need,’ pà ‘to fear,’ zunjìng ‘to respect,’ ganxiè ‘to appreciate,’ dong ‘to understand,’ xìn ‘to believe,’ and xiangniàn ‘to miss.’ Certain stative verbs have special meanings and properties and will be discussed separately below. They include the equational verbs shì ‘to be’ and xìng ‘to be family named,’ and the verb you ‘to have,’ ‘to exist.’

Modal verbs are like you mentioned plus: yinggai, gai, yinggang, dang, bìxu, bìdei, and dei

Additional Details:

Action verbs mentioned are: mai ‘to shop,’ xué ‘to study,’ kàn ‘to look at,’ ‘watch,’ ‘read,’ chi ‘to eat,’ shuì ‘to sleep,’ qù ‘to go,’ chàng ‘to sing,’ xi ‘to wash’. These are the open-ended verbs. The change-of-state verbs are:
zuò to sit (a change from standing to sitting)
zhàn to stand (a change from sitting to standing)
fàng to put/place (a change of location)
guà to hang (a change of location)
líkai to depart (a change of location)
chuan to put on (clothing – on the torso and legs)
dài to put on (clothing – on the head, neck, and hands)
bìng to become sick (a change of health)
dào to arrive (a change of location from ‘not here’ to ‘here’)
qù to go (a change of location from ‘here’ to ‘not here’)

The tone marks are often lost in copying. PDFs SUCK.

Answers

OOPT

Hi Matt,
    I give you some examples:

First the modal verbs, these are 可以、能、要 and others, I think you know these. The verb itself can have a modal form too, like:
    作不完 (I cannot finish it)
    作得完 (I am able to finish it)

Adjectival verbs: I think what they mean is, when you use an adjective like a verb, for example:
    病好了。(He recovered)
    他红了脸。(He blushed)
    他光着脚。(He is barefoot)

Stativ verbs maybe are verbs with the suffix -zhu:
    拿住 (hold)
    站住 (to stop)
    记住 (to keep in mind)
    because the suffix -zhu should express that the action becomes static here.

Chang of state-verbs must be the verbs with the suffix -le I guess, like:
    知道了 (I know it now (I didnt know it before))
    有了 (we have it now (we didnt have it before))

Open-ended are the verbs with the suffix -zhe, like:
    他哭着呢 (He is crying (at the moment, we dont know when he will stop))
    他睡着觉呢 (He is sleeping (right now at the moment))

There are quite a lot of morphological transformations a Chinese verb can undergo. Since Chinese morphology was one of my topics in exam, I could tell you a lot about it. Of course here is not enough space to fully discuss this complex question.

For further questions you can contact me (and you should provide me with the name of the auther of the grammar.)

I hope I could help you so far!

In Chinese, adjectives end with"的“,adverbs end with "地”. We don't change the form of verbs in different tenses. Instead we add certain words to show changes of time and state. I would be happy to explain them to you in detail. Just let me know if you need help.

if only have have any of "my textbook doesn't" -- there's always one good solution which is "go get another textbook"
    because
    creating artificial difficulties eg giving limited info, confusing info, contradictory info is one of the popular ways for "Chinese is hard" myth
    thus
    the more textbooks and dictionaries you have -- the clearer idea you will get