Why is くれる used in this sentence: 太郎を 海の 中の お城へ 連れて 行って くれました。?

I think くれる which means "for me" is used only when 私or 私たち takes the place of an object. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you.

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    I'll take you to the castle.(私はあなたをお城に連れて行きます。)
    He'll take me to the castle.(彼は私をお城へ連れていってくれます。)
    He took me to the castle. (彼は私をお城へ連れていってくれました。)
    He took his mother to the castle.(彼は母親をお城へ連れていってあげました。)

Regarding your sentence, the turtle took Tarou to the castle under the see, looks like the forth sentence I wrote fits your question best, but that type of expressions of くれました is like "THEY SAY the turtle took Tarou to the casltle under the see" meaning カメが太郎を海の中のお城に連れて行ってくれたそうだ. It is written from an outsider point of view... In case of using "they say", you can use くれた not only "for me" but for anyone.

Do you understand what I mean?

As you say, "くれる" is used for "私"and/or "私たち". But, it is also used for people from my side who are equall or below my position, like family members, students, etc.

e.g.
    カメが私をお城へ連れて行ってくれました。=The turtle took me to the castle.
    カメが子どもたちをお城へ連れて行ってくれました。=The turtle took my kids to the castle.
    カメが生徒たちをお城へ連れて行ってくれました。=The turtle took my students to the castle.
    社長が社員たちを食事にさそってくれました。=The president invited his/her workers for dinner.

In this case, "太郎" is the author's side of person, as the author is the one who telling the story about his life and experience in the book. That is why, "くれました" is used. Does this make sense to you?