“-려나요”

What does this ending mean?

Example: “당신은 나를 떠나려나요”

Some sources I’ve found say that “-려나” means the speaker is wondering to himself. Does adding “-요” change the meaning? After all, “요” makes it polite, and you don’t need to be polite if you’re talking to yourself. I also know that the syllable “-려” in some patterns indicates an intent to do something. Does “-려나요” mean you’re asking a person and wondering what he intends to do?

If so, does the example sentence above mean “do you intend to leave me?”

Thank you for your help!

For learning: Korean

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    The final ending "-(으)려나" is used when talking to oneself or asking an assent of one's friends and the younger, for talker's expectation or anticipation that something would happen or that something would be in a certain state or condition.

밤하늘에 구름이 잔뜩 꼈네, 내일은 비가 오려나?

When saying to the elder, it is usually used with aux verb "보다".
    밤하늘에 구름이 잔뜩 꼈네, 내일은 비가 오려나 보다.
    밤하늘에 구름이 잔뜩 꼈네요, 내일은 비가 오려나 봐요? (interrogative sentence)
    밤하늘에 구름이 잔뜩 꼈네요, 내일은 비가 오려나 봐요. (assertive sentence)

In addition, sometimes, it would be contracted form of "-(으)려고 하나".
    밤하늘에 구름이 잔뜩 꼈군, 내일은 비가 오려고 하나?
    밤하늘에 구름이 잔뜩 꼈군요. 내일은 비가 오려고 하나 봐요.

아침부터 까치가 울어 대니, 오늘은 뭔가 좋은 소식이 있으려나.
    아침부터 까치가 울어 대니, 오늘은 뭔가 좋은 소식이 있으려나 보다.
    아침부터 까치가 울어 대니, 오늘은 뭔가 좋은 소식이 있으려나 봐요.

The sentence "당신은 나를 떠나려나요." means "I think/believe you are about to leave from me" or "I wonder if you are going to leave from me".

Accordingly, The meaning "Do you intend to leave me?" would be right. It could be so.

당신은 나를 떠나려나요.
    당신은 나를 떠나려고 하나요.
    당신은 나를 떠나려는 것인가요.
    당신은 나를 떠나려고 하는 것인가요.

려나 is the speaker's expression of the wondering to someone or someting if something or someone is likely to do
    when the wondering faces a certain object, the wondering turns into an asking or questioning.

so, in your example the speaker is asking the reason to /for 당신
    therefore adding "요" is possissible.

I think, 당신 is not in the presence of the speaker and the speaker want to ask eagerly for 당신