Explanation of じゃない

あなたは てんいんさん じゃない?

Can someone explain the part "じゃない"? Is this sentence the same as:

anataha teninsan ja arimasen ka?

I don't know any kanji. I would be happy if you could omit the use of Kanji for me. Thank you very much!

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    じゃない (janai) is the negative form of です (desu), which basically means "is". (To be entirely correct, じゃないです (janaidesu) is the negative form, and the omission of the です (desu) indicates this is a casual sentence.)

To break it down:
    あなたは -- you are
    てんいんさん -- a clerk
    じゃない -- (negative)

So the sentence means "You are not a clerk." The romanji pronunciation you provided is correct except "ka" is not found in the sentence. If I add か (ka) to the end as follows:

あなたはてんいんさんじゃないか。

this means "Are you not a clerk?" (Note that the question mark isn't often used) Additionally, the は (ha) in the sentence is pronounced "wa" in this case (because it is acting as a particle).