i get a question about the a special usage in english

there is a phenomenon that really confuses me for a long period .

e.g. 1. historical museum / 2.history museum
1. adj + n 2.n+n

i have searched on Google ,both of two are right and i am sure that they are the same thing (if im wrong,plz tell me )

and for another situation ,it seems like not right
e.g. 1. beautiful mind / 2.beauty mind
1.adj+n 2.n+n
the "beautiful mind"obviously is not equal to "beauty mind" and "beauty mind " this phrase is totally wrong

but,my question is that how can we (people english as 2nd language) identify such sort of confusion (to me)

the deepest appreciation

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    "Historical museum" and "history museum" are both correct, but I think the usages are slightly different.

When I did an internet search for "historical museum," almost every result had a place name as part of its name, e.g. the Detroit Historical Museum, the Wisconsin Historical Museum, etc. It appears to me that "historical museum" is usually used to describe a museum that displays the history of a certain place.

"History museum" is more general. Sometimes it has the name of a place, but other times it has something different, e.g. the Disability History Museum, the National Women's History Museum, etc. If the museum's purpose is to display the history of certain people or certain things, etc. it would probably use "history museum."

In both cases, the museum was created by people to display history. Let's look at your other example, "beautiful mind" vs. "beauty mind."

"Beautiful mind" means that someone's mind has beautiful thoughts, or that there's something beautiful about the way it works. It's just a description.

"Beauty mind" sounds like a mind that exists for the specific purpose of beauty. Perhaps if you consciously created different mindsets for specific purposes, you could have one called "beauty mind," and it would make sense, but such a phrase would only be used under very specific circumstances.

Let's look at some other examples:

"Music showcase" vs. "musical showcase." Either one is correct. In both cases, people decided to have a showcase for the purpose of letting other people hear music.

"Tasty food" vs. "taste food." People can prepare food, but the taste is already in the ingredients, so the taste exists regardless of any person's intent to enjoy it.

Does that make a little more sense?