Is 大人 used in reference to people who are older/wiser or a way to show courtesy?

I watched an episode of 赵氏孤儿案 and during a conversation between two characters I noticed they kept using the word 大人. I believe one of the characters names is 赵 but I am not sure. Anyway, Google translator gives me the meaning 'adults' for the word 大人 but that doesn't really fit the context of the conversation. Even though I don't know what was being said, based on the exchange between the two men, 大人 seemed to have a meaning of some type of respect or courtesy for one another. So is it correct that 大人 can also be used to address someone in a honorable or courteous manner?

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    ...大人 in this context was a honorific used on Chinese officials in the imperial dynasties.It's roughly corresponding to "My lord","your exellency"in English.Take notice it was only used for dynastic officials(before 1912 ----the end of Qing dynasty)and implies social inequality, and is no longer used to address officials nowadays.what you saw from the dictionary is its modern meaning that simply means "grown-up"in contrast to "children".Hope I have helped you somehow.

Yes,大人 means adults and in the past (Ancient China) it's what polices or someone honorable called.
    大人物 means people who has an important place in some ways.
    越氏= people whose surname is 越
    haha have your problem solved?