An einer Hand sind 5 Finger. Is this sentence really correct?

In my course this sentence just came up "An einer Hand sind 5 Finger.". It was translated as "a hand has 5 fingers".

Is this sentence really correct? Why "sind"? I thought "sind" means "are"? Why do they not use the verb "haben"?

Additional Details:

Sorry I mean the sentence was "einer Hand sind 5 Finger". The An should not be there!

For learning: German

Answers

The translation was confusing. It was a literal translation. An einer Hand sind 5 Finger (on one hand are 5 fingers). This sentence has normal word order changed. "5 Finger sind an einer Hand" is normal word order with subject at the beginning. So the verb "sind" is correct. While changing word order the verb has to remain at the second place. For example: Ich habe einen Hund can also be written as "einen Hund habe ich". The word order can be changed for emphasis (here an einer Hand).

An einer Hand sind fünf Finger. You can also say = Eine Hand hat fünf Finger.

More resolved questions for learning German