How do you pronounce several 3rd tone words in a row in Mandarin?

I understand the 3rd tone rule with two 3rd tone words next to each other: hěn hǎo / 很好 would be read aloud as hén hǎo. But how do you pronounce "wǒ hěn xiǎng dǎ lán qiú / 我很想打篮球" with so many 3rd tones in a row? Thanks for any advice!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    323 or 223,That’s it。or 2323 or 3223 if there were 4 3rd tones。However many 3s there are bound tgther,RULE ONE,always make the last one 3,RULE TWO the last but one must be different from the last one(hence 2),RULE THREE at most two neighbors can be the same ,so 2223 won't make it but both 3223 and 2323 will do.Take notice these are rules for speaking ,when marking the tones (if you have done this kind of exercise)you should keep them always 3 if they are the 3rd tone。This is only for mouth not pen briefly。And since it is only for spoken form it is merely to make it sound better to ears, not an issue of right and wrong,if you say it in 33,I won't think you wrong,it just doesn't sound good。Do I make it clear?

When I got to study Chinese, I found this rule hard to remember and then I forgot it. Guess what! I spontaneously conformed to the rule unconsciously some time later. In fact, the rule is based on nothing but the way we make right our speak. Hard to say but wait and see how your Chinese goes that way. And here, you should pronounce as 很好 would be read aloud as hén hǎo. But how do you pronounce 我很想打篮球 into "Wǒ hén xiǎng dǎ lán qiú". Nothing changes much because it's just my habit out of any rule.

SORRY, I MADE MISTAKES ABOVE
    When I got to study Chinese, I found this rule hard to remember and then I forgot it. Guess what! I spontaneously conformed to the rule unconsciously some time later. In fact, the rule is based on nothing but the way we make right our speak. Hard to say but wait and see how your Chinese goes that way. And here, you should pronounce as 我很想打篮球 into "Wǒ hén xiǎng dǎ lán qiú". Nothing changes much because it's just my habit out of any rule.

you don't have to pronounce the whole 3rd tone in sentences like this, you omit part of it.
    just for the convenience of showing you how to pronounce it, i use 1234 to indicate the four tones, and *1 and *2 to indicate the former part (before the tone) and the latter part (after the tone) of the 3rd tone. so it's like this:

wo*1 hen*2 xiang*1 da*1 lan2 qiu2.

you may think wo*1 = wo4 and hen*2 = hen2. but they are different. you can compare them by just pronouncing *1 and *2 as they are in 3rd tone and you'll see the difference.

i don't use any rules for saying them. maybe because Chinese is my native language and i've heard and speak a lot. it just sounds natural to me. if you didn't have the chance to listen and speak so often for now, just pronounce them as a whole 3rd tone. you may sound a little unnatural but people will always understand you and to be honest, many foreigners living in China for many years still can't get the tones right but they have no problem working and having conversations with locals. you can watch Chinese films and series to immerse yourself in Chinese environment. if not, you can always hone your speaking skill in the future when you have the opportunity to do so.

http://www.italki.com/entry/171321