Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

What is the best way to practice rolled r. Especially if you have failed at it for many years?

My tongue does not flutter, but I am not giving up. I guess I need to know what the physical sensation is supposed to be, exactly. The alveolar trill continues to elude me.
Thanks

For learning: Italian

Answers

Hi;
    I am Spanish and understand the difficulties that you may have since I have heard many foreigners talking Spanish. A couple of things:
    1 there are children in Spain who cannot pronounce rolled r, that is because of a physical problem on the way their tongue developed. So, some people cannot pronounce it.sometimes it is genetic
    2- children learn to say correctly trying to emulate the sound of a motorbike. We say runrunrunrunrun

3. if you add ths sound d before the r , it helps a lot. say drake, drums.... then imagine that there is a d before any rolled r. It sounds very similar.

Hope to have helped a little

cheers

This is what I heard and repeated as a child, as many other Italians did:
    Trentatre trentini passarono per Trento, tutti e trentatre
    trotterellando.

I actually achieved it in a weird way, which was trilling my lips and uvula at the same time. The buzzing helped the rolled R kick in. Once learns such wonderful stuff at uni.

Another way of trying to get a rolled R is to start with the word "heda". Repeat it and slowly relax the "d" until it just flaps. Then take out the vowels and make the H a puff of air. Once you're used to making the hrrr sound, take out the H. You do need a puff of air in the beginning to get the sound going.

I guess you're more likely to get useful advice on this matter by a non native speaker like Peachey. In fact, for me and many other native speakers it would be difficult to explain how we do it, as it isn't a conscious effort. Moreover, as Emarbe points out for Spanish speakers, there are a number of Italians who don't pronounce the rolled r correctly and substitute it with a /v/ (called "erre moscia") or a uvular r instead, which sounds like a bajaj or tuk-tuk engine - if you're familiar with Southeast Asia. :-)