чTo how to read it .

how to pronunce the word ч as i know it is "ch" sound.

but when the word

чTO would you pronunce as "chto" or "shto"

?

For learning: Russian

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    You can also go to this site and enter any word or sentence in Russian and hear it pronounced correctly: http://www.oddcast.com/demos/tts/tts_example.php?clients
    "Совсем нечего есть" - "Sovsem neCHego est' " but sounds like "neCHevo" ("g" sounds as "v")
    "Что тебе нужно?" - "CHto tebe nuzgno?" but sounds like "SHto".
    Here sound "CH" is sizzle and offten sounds like "SH"

Hi! If you want you can add my skype: kaoru-tyan. I would tell you how we pronounce it. We say /shto/ - /што/. And we often say /cho/ - /чо/ . And sometimes I say even /sho/ - - /шо/ - that's like the Ukrainians say, I'm not a Ukrainian though, maybe i'm lazy. Our ex-ex-president Eltsin said even /shta/ -/шта/. It was really funny! )))
    Well, you say /shto/. And you can say /che/ speaking with friends. :)

The word "что" usaully sounds as "shto" (but I know some persons who pronunces it with strong "ch" - is is the feature of some regional dialects). About other words... if you have any doubt, pronunce it as "ch". In this case they will understand you.

I should add that in St. Petersburg "ч" is often pronounced with the sound "ch". For example, "булочная", "яичница", "что", "конечно" (the last two words are rarely pronounced with "ch")