Please can you explain what 给 is doing in these sentences

Please can you explain what 给 is doing in these sentences. I can not see why you would have it there at all.
我把开会的事给忘了。
他把钥匙给掉了。

Additional Details:

I'm very used to seeing and using 把 to move an object before a verb. For example, as me and a teacher at uni would joke, sometimes 我把我的中文忘在家了。Other sentences of the top of my head 我把这些字都写错了。 他把钱拿出来了。You could even write the example sentences without the 给。把 is what moves the object. I have seen millions of sentences using 把 to move the object, but never with 给 placed before the verb like this. What is the purpose of adding the 给, that is what I'm trying to grasp here.

Answers

Interresting question, haven't seen 给 being used in this setting. According to pleco (dictionary) it can be used before a verb for emphasis. Guess some native users can give a better explanation.

这是个很有趣的问题。

As a native speaker, I use 给 in this way a lot but I've never thought about the reason. Thanks to your asking, I looked it up in my Chinese dictionary and it says 给 here is a 助词,直接用在表示被动、处置等意思的句子的谓语动词前面,以加强语气。 To be concise, 给 in this structure is similar to being done something.

Hi Beth, an interesting question, for which there may be relatively simple answer:

As you know, the basic Chinese sentence structure is S V O (subject verb object). As you can see, in your two examples, the structure is S O V, where the object is placed before the verb.

The pair of words 把 ...給 allows you to move the object before the verb to give the object emphasis that a normal S V O structure would not give to the object.

In other words, 我忘掉了开会的事 is the normal sentence structure, but to emphasize that it is the MEETING that you forgot, you use the S + 把O給 + V structure to move the object before the verb. The result is 我把开会的事给忘掉了。

Hope this is helpful!

我把开会的事给忘了 and 我把开会的事忘了. These 2 expression are both correct. Having “给” there or not does not affect the whole meaning of your expression. But adding "给” is a more colloquial expression in a emphatic tone.