If i want to call someone by his name in japanese language

If i want to call someone by his name in japanese, when can i use this suffix " kun, san, sama, sempai and sensei" ? and for which kind of relationship?

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    I'm not a native speaker, so you may want a second opinion, but I think i can help you a bit. This is just my general understanding based on my studies thus far.

As you probably know, social status plays a large role in relationships in Japan. It also plays a role in deciding when to use each suffix and which one to use.

~さん (-san) : is by far the most commonly used suffix. In English, it equates to Mr. or Ms. or Mrs. so this is your default suffix. Use this with basically anyone until you've become friends, then it's okay to drop it. This suffix is used between acquaintances and anyone you are trying to be polite with. For example, coworkers, strangers, people you've recently met, and literally anyone you're not sure how to address.

~せんせい (-sensei): is most known for its use on instructors, be it a school teacher or possibly even a yoga trainer, for example. This is also used on people in high positions academically, like doctors and researchers. I've also heard it can be used on lawyers, but I'm not positive about that one. You want to use -sensei on any instructor you encounter, it shows respect to acknowledge their position.

~せんぱい (-senpai): is reserved for those in a position senior to your own. For example, if you are a 1st year student, 2nd year students would be name-senpai to you. This also applies in the workforce as well. If you are new to a job, people immediately senior to you are your senpai. I haven't heard this used a lot when people are significantly senior though (for example, if you are a new employee you won't use this on the CEO). The senpai suffix is for people who can/do instruct or help you, while the word itself can describe anyone senior, even someone you may not use this suffix with.