Particular use of "may" and "mayroon" in Tagalog

Hello,

I would like to examine the word "may" in the following sentence:

"May nápansín akóng butas sa aking medyas." I noticed a (there's a) hole in my socks.

From that I would understand that "may" has to go in front of the verb. If we would have decided to use "mayroon" instead, my guess is that the sentence would have been written that way:

"Nápansin akóng mayroon butas sa aking medyas."

Correct?

Salamat nang maaga.

Additional Details:

I just noticed something odd. I thought I understood the meaning of "may" in the sentence "May nápansín akóng butas sa aking medyas" but then... I didn't realizing that it changed the pronoun from ko to ako! I read another example: "May nápansín ka bang di-pangkaraniwan sa kilos ng taong iyóng?" Again, they use ka instead of mo.

Could anyone explain how "may" affects the sentence?

For learning: Filipino (Tagalog)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    May nápansín akóng butas sa aking medyas." I noticed a (there's a) hole in my socks.
    If we were to use "mayroon" it'd be "Mayroon akong napansing butas sa aking medyas. "

Doris Day's post is right. Mayroon (or colloquially "Meron") must be followed by an adverb of place or in this case, a personal pronoun. That's why we interchanged napansin and ako's position; and placed the personal pronoun "ako" right after mayroon to stay true to aforementioned rule.

May and mayroon are both existentials that occupies predicate position. However, "mayroon" (may+doon) is a full word while "may" is just a particle and can't standalone which means that it has to be followed by a noun, verb, adverb, adjective. For example:

"Mayroon ako." - already has a complete thought which can be translated to "I have"; while I can't say "May ako". Therefore it has to be filled by a full word for May has something to modify. "May (blank) ako." Bag, medyas, sakit, etc.

Hope I answered your question. ;)

for me.. its "napansin kong may butas sa aking medyas"..

may and mayroon has almost the same meaning. The only difference is the proper use in sentence.

May is used if the following words will be:

Noun
    Verb
    Adjective
    Adverb

Mayroon is used when the following/next words will be:

personal pronoun
    adverb of place

source:
    http://filipinotutorial.blogspot.com/2009/04/wastong-gamit-may-mayroon.html