Why are there many alternate kanji writings?

For example, 初めまして and 始めまして while sometimes it can be spelled with hiragana only はじめまして.

Is there a rule for using hiragana only in some sentences?
Is using too many kanji bad?
When should you use the alternate readings?

For learning: Japanese

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    Sheri, did somebody tell you "始めまして"? If so, she/he wrote Kanji in the wrong way. We don't usually use "始" in this situation.

I don't think there are so many "alternate kanji writings" because Kanji is not just a symbol but each of them has a specific meaning.
    Focus on meaning, not pronunciation.

"始め" and "初め" have the same pronunciation but the meanings are different. "始め" means "start" while "初め" means "first time". We say "Hajime mashite" when we meet someone for the first time. That's why, we use "初めまして" in this situation.

>Is there a rule for using hiragana only in some sentences?

There possibly exists some linguistic rules but I'm not pretty sure. In my opinion, when you use too much Kanji in a sentence, it makes your writing messy. Hiragana gives you a soft and friendly impression. Balance is important. As for me, I prefer to use "はじめまして" than "初めまして" :)

mikie,

"1)写真を撮ります" is correct !

”撮る” is "do the shooting".
    "取る" is "get", "get away", "take off", "take out", etc...

You can't learn Kanji only from sounds!