What is the difference between a Schachtel and a Karton?

When I was studying German today two words came up in sentences as the word box: Schachtel and Karton. What is the difference between the two?

I'm thinking maybe it is the size of the box as the sentences were: Die Blumen sind in der Schachtel. Die Süßigkeiten sind in der Schachtel. Das Mädchen ist auf dem Karton. and finally, Der Junge ist im Karton.
I think maybe it is to do with size, as logically, flowers and sweets would be in smaller boxes than a girl could sit on or a boy hide in.

Is size the difference?

For learning: German

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    Clair is right

Karton refers mainly to the material.

A Karton is a Pappschachtel. A Schachtel has always a cover. Schachtel has more relatives in German like Schachtelgesellschaft or Schuhschachtel. A Schachtel is a Schachtel only to a certain (not exactly defined) size.

More resolved questions for learning German