Please can you tell me about the cheng yu "左邻右舍". How it came to be, it's deeper meaning etc.

Please can you tell me about the cheng yu "左邻右舍". How it came to be, it's deeper meaning etc. When you would use it instead of just saying 邻居 and so on.

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by Voting
    the original meaning of 左邻右舍 is the neighbors around you. since it means neighbours, it is a collective phrase. I will give you an example
    小明自从搬到新房子就和他的左邻右舍相处和睦 xiaoming has got along well with his neigbours since moved into the new appartment.
    however, you can't say a plura form of it so 左邻右舍们is incorrect. it is more like words such as deer and people I mean, I mean when you say 左邻右舍 it actually means more than one people.

However, it has a figurative meaning that is people around you. it does not necessarily refer to your neighbours at this moment. it can refer to anyone who are around you.

邻舍 + 左右 = 左邻右舍