Grammar Please help =)

Please help!

1) Most people think that buying apartments are/is very important.

Which one is correct?

2) I read some articles that the writers liked using simple sentences in their articles. / I read the articles which the writers liked using simple sentences in.

Correct?

3) How to use 'in which' and 'of which'?

Thanks =)

For learning: Chinese (Cantonese)

Answers

Best Answer - Chosen by the Asker
    1) The subject is the gerund: buying. So you use "is". Actually, it's far more natural to write "Most people think that buying an apartment is very important." It's normal to buy one apartment for yourself, but not several.

2) The first sentence is not correct, mainly due to the messy repetition. I suggest, "I read some articles where the writers liked using simple sentences."

For the second sentence, "I read the articles in which the writers liked using simple sentences."

In both cases, I understand they are past events. Is that what you meant?

3) Well, you choose "in which" or "of which" depending on whether you need "in" or "of". You can put the preposition before the relative clause (which sounds a little formal) or at the end.

I hope that's helpful. This kind of relative clause relies on back-referencing, so you need to double-check what you really wrote.

More open questions for learning Chinese (Cantonese)